Ultra-processed food

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: Ultra-processed food

Post by Grumble » Thu May 09, 2024 5:50 pm

For a large part of my calories on Saturday I will be relying on a drink made from a powdered mix of sugars and salts. I’m pretty sure if that doesn’t qualify as ultra-processed then nothing does. It would be unhealthy to try and live off it - it’s by no means a complete food - but it will do the job I need it to do. Then I will probably eat a pie, which might also be ultra-processed food, but these things are not like each other. It is a meaningless label.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Re: Ultra-processed food

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat May 11, 2024 1:33 pm

I have been trying to get me head around all this
and failed.

There seems to have been a quite natural reaction to the 'turkey dinosaurs chips and coke diet', which is unhealthy, that I understand. But the definitions of processed and ultra-processed seem nebulous, hard to pin down and not useful.

Then others like Tim Spector have tried to take all this and use it to try to define healthy diets, which in Spector's case requires reading his several expensive thick books that has launched (lunched?) a lucrative career on the back of. Doesn't it really just boil down to 'don't eat to much refined flour and sugar?

I smell b.llsh.t. Particularly as there's a perfectly good, easy to understand guide to feeding yourself healthily, beloved of cookery teachers for generations; the Eatwell plate.
eatwell_plate.jpg
eatwell_plate.jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 90 times
Perit hic laetatio.